Monday, April 7, 2014

Sleep of the Just


I’ve had trouble understanding this story. I mostly understand up to the part where Hathaway lost his son and goes to Burgess, right?, and the various dreams. However, I will address the formatting of the graphic novel. The cover photo kind of creeped me out but I love how the story was drawn. Although it was a bit confusing to follow, the imagery itself is beautiful. I loved when Burgess was making the potion and used repetition by saying “come” constantly and calling different entities. This made me feel his potion. When I read stories like this, I like to read them out loud in different voices and for a moment I felt like I was creating my own spell and scared myself. Maybe I get too much into the story.

Also, The dark eyes really capture me. Did you notice them? Most to all of the characters had dark eyes. I think this not only symbolized sleeplessness but it symbolized these mystery characters. Unity dreamed of a man with eyes like the stars and said this beautiful line, “His eyes burn like twin stars in her head.” The imagery of eyes wearing off on some ones face came to mind because all stars die eventually. The connection I made to eyes with this story is that in the dark, we are unable to see clearly and eyes are considered the channel to our souls, however, the inability to see eyes is what powers the entities of the dark. Meaning, the spell in the story is so effective because the entities he was calling upon lurk in the dark and drawing the characters with dark eyes fuels the development of the story because it is written in a more magical sense. Or maybe a better way to say it is, the symbolism of drawing dark eyes suggest a more magical sense since we are unable to physically see spells or the creatures in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment